Monday, January 17, 2011

One White Soul

One White Soul
Size: 12x18 inches
Medium: Watercolors
Prints & Original available -here-
Detail closeups -here-

Cover piece for The First Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, that Tachyon Publications will be releasing soon (for real this time). Shows a scene that was taken out of the final draft of the The Last Unicorn, of a confrontation between the unicorn and one of her immortal rivals and fellow anachronistic mythical beast in a world that was rapidly moving forward and beyond magic, a dragon. "Little white soul," he calls mockingly to her when she speaks to him naively of the world.


13 comments:

  1. I LOVE this and I LOVE the Last Unicorn! One of my favorite movies! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Stephanie! I love the deep greens/blue greens and grays in this pieces.

    I'm really curious to know what specific colours you used for this painting too! I don't know if you would be willing to share this information with us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maigan!

    Annie -- I used my new set of Kremer pigments. Most of it was this lovely deep and rich Indigo that was in the set,and Viridian Green. Bits of Sap Green and Yellow Ochre for the brighter green areas (the dragon). For the unicorn, Ultramarine Violet and Ultramarine Blue shadows with very very diluted Naples Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Thanks so much for the information Stephanie! I appreciate it! That set of blue pigments from Kremer was to die for when I saw the pictures on your blog. I'm very tempted to make a purchase when I have a little extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome. And it's worth it! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT'S HUGE! How do you paint so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sat glued to my desk with paintbrush in hand for 3 days, after lobbing the kid at dana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely...and i agree...those colors are so rich and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is gorgeous! I've bought both your books and have had such fun experimenting! I have to say, I was an oil painter for years and it's been only the last five years that I've used watercolor and thanks to you, I love it! Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, I love the palette you used for this.

    ReplyDelete